The legendary explorer and adventurer know as Congo Bill was content with living in his home, Africa. He has sworn to do whatever he needs to protect it. When Bill is called to the deathbed of his old friend Chief Kawolo and offered a magic ring. Bill was skeptical especially when he was told by the chief to rub the ring and it would transfer his mind into that of the legendary Golden Gorilla. He accepted the ring to humor his friend's dying wish. With that the medicine man ended up saving Bill's life; several weeks later an earth quake trapped Bill in a deep cave cut off from all life. After trying his entire book of tricks to escape his decided to hopelessly rub the ring his friend had given him. Instantly, despite his doubts he found himself inside the body of the Golden Gorilla, totally in control of a powerful being.
Racing to the cave-in, he used his massive strength to clear the blocked entrance and wondering what had become of his body without him being "home". He realized that when he switched his consciousness that of the Gorilla was swapped into himself and vise versa on reentry.
Currently with the mind of the Golden Gorilla now gone along with Congo Bill's human body, Bill now lives life in the immortal body of the legendary Golden Gorilla as Congorilla. He has recently joined a separate Justice League group in the Cry for Justice comics, which is led by Green Lantern Hal Jordan. He is hunting, along with the new Starman, for the person or persons responsible for killing his pack of gorillas he was in charge of protecting. All he has to go on is a scent which he is tracking from continent to continent.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Congorilla is also known as the Golden Gorilla and Bogadu.
- Crazy Kong, a Donkey Kong pastiche arcade game, had some of its cabinets entitled Congorilla. 
- 91 Appearances of Congorilla (New Earth)
- 18 Images featuring Congorilla (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Congorilla (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Congorilla (New Earth)
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.