Dr. Roy Lincoln, was the first Human Bomb to join the Freedom Fighters. In the summer of 1941, Roy Lincoln was working with his father, Professor B. Lincoln to create a new super-explosive for the American war effort. They called the explosive QRX-27. However, they were also being watched by Nazi spies, who attacked their lab, killing Professor Lincoln. In an effort to keep the Nazis from obtaining QRX-27, and certain he was about to die, Roy swallowed the explosive.
He was astonished to learn that the explosive did not kill him, but rather allowed him to explode things simply by touching them. In short, Roy Lincoln had become a human bomb. However, he had to solve the problem of blowing up whatever he touched. He fashioned an containment suit made out of an experimental substance known as "fibro wax", which contained his explosive power.
Using his powers, he set out to destroy the spy ring and fight Nazi saboteurs during the war. He was invited to join the All-Star Squadron, and later was a founding member of the Freedom Fighters. After the war and the breakup of the Freedom Fighters, Roy continued to work for the government until his retirement.
Later, investigating a warehouse with the rest of the Freedom Fighters while the other heroes of the world were busy during the Infinite Crisis, the Human Bomb would meet several members of The Society in an ambush. The villains overcame the group, and along with the deaths of the Phantom Lady and Black Condor, the Human Bomb was murdered by Bizarro shortly after killing Doctor Polaris in self-defense.
- Explosive Body Chemistry: Lincoln can generate a biochemical explosion with just a touch. If he increases the kinetic force by hitting the object harder, the explosive force is also increased.
- Decelerated Aging: The changes to his body chemistry seemed to have prolonged his life.
- Power Instability: Although he has greater control over his powers than he once did, the Human Bomb still has the potential to explode, and therefore has the potential to be a great threat.
- Containment Suit: Lincoln wears a head to toe containment suit made of "fibro wax", which prevents the explosive reaction. When he wants to use his powers, he simply removes his gloves.
- The Freedom Fighters were relocated to a parallel world, one called "Earth-X", where Nazi Germany had won World War II. The team was featured in its own series for 15 issues (1976–1978), in which it temporarily left Earth-X for "Earth-One" (where most DC titles are set).
- In 1981, some Quality Characters became recurring guest-stars of All-Star Squadron, a superhero-team title set on "Earth-Two", the locale for DC's WWII-era superheroes, and at a time prior to when the Freedom Fighters were supposed to have left for Earth-X. They later appeared with the rest of DC's superheroes in Crisis on Infinite Earths, a story that was intended to eliminate the confusing histories that DC had attached to its characters by retroactively merging the various parallel worlds into one. The Freedom Fighters became a mere splinter group of the All-Star Squadron.
- 29 Appearances of Roy Lincoln (New Earth)
- 7 Images featuring Roy Lincoln (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Roy Lincoln (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Roy Lincoln (New Earth)
|Freedom Fighters member |
This character is or was a member of the Freedom Fighters, a team of American super-heroes who fight threats to the nation and its ideals under the leadership of Uncle Sam. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Freedom Fighters members" category.
Justice Society of America member